Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
End the rb trio committee for Mixon
(09-18-2017, 04:51 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Ehhh.. I just look at all the successful RBs rookie season and it doesn't seem like any of them had to learn anything their rookie year.

Jim Brown: 4.7 YPC
Adrian Peterson: 5.6 YPC
Steven Jackson: 5.0 YPC
Eric Dickerson: 4.6 YPC
Frank Gore: 4.8 YPC
Jamaal Charles: 5.3 YPC
Barry Sanders: 5.3 YPC
Earl Campbell: 4.8 YPC
Corey Dillon: 4.8 YPC
Terrell Davis: 4.7 YPC
Bo Jackson: 6.8 YPC (and he was also busy learning baseball)
Chris Johnson: 4.9 YPC

Only two I can really think of off the top of my head is Tomlinson who had 3.6 YPC his rookie year, and OJ Simpson who had 3.9 YPC his rookie year. The vast majority step out of the gate already as great RBs. You see that with the latest group of good young RBs in the league with their rookie seasons Ezekiel Elliott (5.1 YPC), David Johnson (4.6 YPC), Jordan Howard (5.2 YPC), Todd Gurley (4.8 YPC). Gurley, Doug Martin (4.6 YPC).  

Then the rookie RBs tearing it up so far this year... Dalvin Cook (5.6 YPC) and Kareem Hunt (7.6 YPC).

I can't help but think that outside of realizing you need to add or lose weight, or a few notable exceptions, the majority come into the NFL with nothing to learn that would keep them from immediately being good. I do believe in Sophomore Slumps, for RB, though. I just think that the first move is theirs, and the defenses can use the offseason to change things on them and THEN it's a matter of learning.

Yet they all played their rookie year and learned the NFL game right out of the gate, and not on the bench (Im assuming they did).

And if the Bengals had anyone of those running backs right now as a rookie, would you or anyone sit them behind Gio or Hill? Heck no. As I mentioned earlier, IF Mixon is as good as many touted him to be, as the best all-around back in the class, then why bench him when two other rookies are tearing it up? 

Regardless, they just need to stick with either Mixon or Gio as the primary back. But based on various coordinators under Marvin, I'm not holding my breath.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: End the rb trio committee for Mixon - Millhouse - 09-18-2017, 05:06 PM