Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nancy Pelosi is too far Right for the Democrat base
(09-21-2017, 04:15 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I guess I could see it that way. I don't know if I can say that I agree, but I can see the logic in what you say.

I don't know. I'll give it some thought. Let you know if you convinced me.

I look at it as there being several different types of voters/supporters for a candidate or party. Every candidate has a lot of people that are lukewarm to them, but they vote that way because they just like them a little more or because they are party loyalists (difference between a candidate's base and a party's base is evident here). But successful candidate must have a base, they must have those people that are excited about the candidate. Not because they aren't the other person, not because of the letter next to their name, but because of what the candidate says and does. This is why they are the base, because without that base, the support for the candidate will falter and they will not succeed.

This is why when we talk about politicians "playing to their base" we are referring to them making comments or taking actions that play well for those most ardent supporters. When Trump plays to his base, he often does so at the expense of those that were just voting for him because he wasn't Clinton or because he ran as an R.

Just a little further explanation of how I see the base.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Nancy Pelosi is too far Right for the Democrat base - Belsnickel - 09-21-2017, 04:33 PM