Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Attorney: 'Busty' teen kicked out of class for wearing this outfit
(09-22-2017, 02:25 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: See the thing is, I would have no problem if it were just news outlets reporting on Trump's actions and leaving interpretation of those actions up to the reader. Way too often, they put a negative spin on everything the man does. Even things that would seemingly be viewed as a positive are spun into a negative.  

I understand. I guess I'm looking at it from the other side of the table.

Probably a fifth or so of the stories I do, I get someone complaining that they weren't covered fairly or were painted in a bad light. I used to take it personal, go back through my notes or recordings and make sure I hadn't missed something. the problem usually wasn't what was said in an interview or public meeting, it's what wasn't said because nobody said it.

Case in point, I've got a public figure who uses his office to deny services to a public entity because a few years ago they didn't consult his office and spent money in ways he didn't like. That's the nutshell. Well, every few meetings they ask for access to things they've paid for with taxpayer money, and every meeting he denies them. So every meeting that happens, I run a story saying the entity asked for whatever, and his office denied it.

Because I'm being negative? No, because it involves taxpayer money and public officials.

On the other hand, several of the phone calls, emails and letters I've gotten are pretty upset with me, not because I've printed anything false, but because I haven't searched out stories to put him in a better light.

Quote:I realize there's plenty of negative to talk about (I feel that way about every president), but when you constantly put a negative spin on everything and highlight nothing positive, I start to tune out. There is a distinct difference in the way Trump and Bush were/are treated by the media compared to the way Obama was treated. 

It's not just Trump though. Most sports sites have praised Kaepernick as a hero and feigned ignorance as to why there's backlash. Bruce Jenner wins the courage award over more worthy candidates. Hundreds of sports and news outlets refusing to say "Redskins" or railing against that Dan Snyder for refusing to change the name. North Carolina was slammed for the bathroom bill. These are just a few of the bigger examples, but anytime sports sites (or news sites) get political these days, it seems they side with the left point of view, rather than maintaining a neutral stance and recognizing that many of their viewers/readers are on the other side of that moral fence.

I think his actions as a President are more important than his words as a citizen.

Just out of curiosity, do you get most of your news from the internet?

The reason I'm asking is, as you probably already know, sites use your data to influence what the internet suggests for you. It happens on social media, search engines like Google, web sites. It's been a discussion for a couple years now (and more with all the fake news from the last election) in my industry on how big of an impact that's having both on perception and actual readership.

Like, say you Google "second amendment rights" a lot, and visit Breitbart a lot. Chances are, sites (in an effort to keep you coming back) are going to give you something pro-2nd based on your history. On the other hand, same Google search, but you visit HuffPo a lot, you might get something from sites on why guns are bad. In other words, to keep you coming back, sites tell you what they think you want to hear.

Which doesn't do anything to explain ESPN or the like supporting Jenner's courageous woman thing, but TV news hasn't hidden their bias since cable news went live. I realize I'm riding a dinosaur, but that's why I still get most of my news from a paper or magazine. It's more trustworthy than the internet and less polarized that television.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Attorney: 'Busty' teen kicked out of class for wearing this outfit - Benton - 09-22-2017, 03:14 PM