Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Goodell calls Trump's comments "divisive"
(09-24-2017, 06:45 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: A lot of them are releasing statements encouraging it, so it has to be somewhat true. That or they believe the impact of not allowing players to do it would cause issues. 

It's got to be a tricky situation for them, risk alienating the POTUS and a large percentage of NFL fans or a significant percentage of their players.

(09-24-2017, 08:43 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: So a player should be fired for exercising their right to free speech at work, but denying gay people service is acceptable? Both exercising First Amendment liberties, though only one denies another their civil rights. Guess which one the current administration supports.

The concepts aren't mutually exclusive, although there is obviously an inherent contradiction in someone believing both.  I think the bottom line is that no one has an inherent right to espouse their political beliefs at their place of business.  The vast majority of employers have rules specifically prohibiting it, I under stand the NFL does not.  However, the NFL engages in their own inherent contradictions; like fining William Gay money for wearing purple cleats to support acknowledgement of domestic violence (Gay's mother was killed with a shotgun in front of him by her abusive spouse) but doing nothing about the anthem protests.

Any private business is simply being intelligent by not injecting or acknowledging politics in relation to their business or product.  It makes zero sense to alienate half the country in one swoop when your business has nothing to do with politics.  Like everything else this empty headed clown touches, Goodell ****** this up and the NFL will suffer for this.  I'll finish by asking this, do you think that the majority of NFL fans (and by fans I mean people who buy jerseys and attend games, not some asshole who watches because they're in their work FF league) lean conservative of liberal?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Goodell calls Trump's comments "divisive" - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 09-24-2017, 09:42 PM