Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Goodell calls Trump's comments "divisive"
(09-24-2017, 11:09 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Standing for the anthem is no more a political statement than a simple showing of respect for the country it represents.  This is apparent in the fact that players stood for the UK national anthem in London.

I'm not aware of May calling out NFL players. Trump politicized the issue. Standing, or not standing, isn't about respecting the country any more. It's about politicization. 

Quote:The anthem is not the Pledge of Allegiance.  During the Olympics everyone present stands for the anthem of the gold medal winner.  This is doen out of respect, not out of allegiance or as a political statement.

And they should. 

A track runner from Nigeria shouldn't be making a statement on the political situation in Canada by not standing.

This isn't an international event where respecting other nations is inherent in the competition. Along the same lines, that's why the Egyptian/Israeli tiff was newsworthy. Cultural/political/religious differences spilled over into a competition where, at its heart, athletes are supposed to come in and put all that stuff at the door.

So, the Olympics are irrelevant in this discussion.

NASCAR or the NBA? Sure. But Olympics and the NFL are apples and oranges.

Quote:I suppose the gestalt protest mindset has a lot to do with it.  Lots of people thinking they're making a difference, sound and fury signifying nothing.  A paramedic or firefighter on shift right now will make more of a difference tonight than most of these NFL players will in their entire lives.  I suppose when you get paid millions to play a game you need to convince yourself you're more important than you really are.

Maybe if they feel the need to have an impact, they should volunteer their time. Some do, but no idea how many.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Goodell calls Trump's comments "divisive" - Benton - 09-25-2017, 11:54 AM