Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Case building for taking Deshaun Watson over John Ross in Draft - 1st round REDO
Deshaun Watson was 22 of 33 for 301 yards with 2 TD and 2 interceptions (plus 41 rushing yards) at the Patriots.

He did it behind an Offensive Line that is playing as poorly as the Bengals O-line and Watson is just a Rookie.

If I could Re-do the Bengals 1st round pick, I would take Deshaun Watson over John Ross.
We would not have even had to trade Dalton this year and just let Watson watch & learn for a season.
The team would be in a better Roster position than having John Ross. IMO

It is a QB driven league and Watson can play in the Pocket while also having a better ability than Dalton or McCarron to avoid the rush & Extend Plays. Aaron Rodgers can move around & roll out & extend plays behind a bad offensive line. Deshaun Watson is a prospect that offers the potential to extend plays which is a Big part of why players like Rodgers & Big Ben are successful. They get those extra few seconds that can kill a defense and Dalton & McCarron don't seem to excel in that area enough.

I think we passed on a Rare chance at a QB with Watson's traits to get a smallish receiver that set a 40 yard dash record which raised his Stock.

In a QB driven league, it may have made more sense to Stack the Roster at the QB position.
Watson showed Great poise in Championship games at Clemson both in the Pocket and reacting to the rush to extend plays.
Escaping pressure behind a poor O-line is what Aaron Rodgers does and we need a QB that has the potential to do the same.
Even Great offensive lines can break down at the worst moment of a Championship game and avoiding that pressure to make that play is what the Great QB's do. I would rather take my chances with a Deshaun Watson type player than Dalton or McCarron longer term for this reason. Especially if we keep going the Cheap & inexpensive route on the O-line.

I would give John Ross & AJ McCarron for Deshaun Watson right now but the Texans likely would not do it.

We could have just picked him with the 9th overall pick but passed on the 22 year old.

Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Case building for taking Deshaun Watson over John Ross in Draft - 1st round REDO - depthchart - 09-25-2017, 01:43 PM