Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Governing in the age of social media
(09-25-2017, 02:16 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Not sure if anyone saw how NK is taking some of Trump's tweets: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-41391978

Now, my immediate thought is "how stupid is that? Obviously he can't declare war with a tweet." But this brings up a more general question about the role of social media and how to use it when governing. What are your thoughts on the social media use of government agencies, from the local sheriff on up to the federal account? How official should tweets be considered? We saw Trump tweet out something and it get ignored by the policy community until something official came out, so on the domestic side we see that check. However, with foreign affairs it can be a more delicate situation. Even with domestic affairs, a social media post being misinterpreted can have serious consequences.

So what do you all think about the use of social media in government?

I believe that if any government has a problem with what a leader tweets whether it's the POTUS or someone else, I think their should be a period of clarification before immediate conclusions are drawn to avoid acting on mistaken beliefs. With that said.....

I find it funny how everyone is all hot and bothered and suddenly scared of North Korea because they say Trump "declared war on them". Well for anyone who actually paid attention to the news before Trump became president they would know that North Korea has accused us of declaring war on them before multiple times, and this is not something that has just popped up out of thin air now that Trump is president.

Most recently in 2016 when Obama was still in office the US announced sanctions against Kim Jong-Un for human rights abuses and he responded by saying the declarations were a "declaration of war". Kim has also called our joint military exercises with South Korea a "declaration of war". They also called sanctions against their nuclear program in 2013 a "declaration of war". North Korea also called Obama a "nuclear war maniac" when he visited Hiroshima in 2016 and said he wanted to take over the world with nuclear weapons.

American's need to step back for a second and realize that what's going on is what North Korea is about. People want to say that Trumps tweets and comments at Kim Jung Un are going to start a war....... but North Korea has literally said in the past before Trump was ever in office that they consider any sanctions against them as a "declaration of war".

I believe what we are truly witnessing right now is the Trump hysteria our media has created with Trump and the people who hate him. People who have barely ever watched the news or even picked up a news paper are now being fed these shock stories and further causing divide amongst  their very own citizens and I believe the North Korean's are actually starting to use this to their advantage.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Governing in the age of social media - Matt_Crimson - 09-25-2017, 09:49 PM