Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Governing in the age of social media
So a couple of interesting topics brought up here that I'd like to maybe expand on.

When it comes to the difference between a government official's private versus "official" account, how do we really draw that line? I ask this, because an elected official, whether POTUS, a US Senator, a governor, what have you, is never truly off the clock. They represent the people 24/7, and so how do you differentiate? Should governments look to enact policies for elected officials that their personal accounts are considered official while they are in office?

Lucie brought up the press offices, and we can all be honest and say that the "official" accounts are often maintained by a staffer in such an office, but if a personal account is being used by the elected official to discuss anything related to their job, would that not also become an official account, then?

Just a lot of questions regarding this. There is a lot of discussion among public admin nerds like myself about how to effectively use social media in government, but also how to effectively craft policies related to it. You would be astonished at the lack of policy surround social media use in government agencies.

All in all, this has been a good discussion so far. Kudos to everyone in here.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Governing in the age of social media - Belsnickel - 09-26-2017, 11:54 AM