Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Supposedly the Bengals Extension Offer to Zeitler was $5.5 Million
(09-28-2017, 02:39 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: The NFL is so weird how it approaches things. It's such a good ol boys club and everything is practically nepotism. 

That's why it seems like the NFL is so slow to change compared to college where turnover is ridiculous. 
This is what makes FA so risky. There's always risk in a player shutting down once he gets paid, but the worst flops are usually the ones who just don't fit the system but are brought in anyways, because the NFL for whatever reason, still can't get out of it's own way and see this shit. I think they are getting better at it now but there's still work to be done.

We do rely almost 100% on the draft so you would think that we would have the biggest and best scouting department. But alas, we ask our coaches to do scouting and there's no way to fully scout while also coaching. It just isn't possible. 

And to be clear I advocate signing 2nd and 3rd tier free agents. A guy like Ronald Leary or TJ Lang at $8 million a year. I'm not suggesting we go out and sign Suh or some guy like that.

Leary and Lang would both have been great additions at Guard for us.

Preaching to the choir on drafting. I've posted articles from the 1990's by John Clayton talking about how it is a bad strategy to have your coaches as major scouts...as they can't scout during the season and have to rely on workouts. As an aside, how many offensive lineman have we drafted where we tout their bench press? Westerman, Bodine, any others? Billings on defense. It's because we scout workouts!
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Supposedly the Bengals Extension Offer to Zeitler was $5.5 Million - THE PISTONS - 09-28-2017, 02:43 PM