Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Case building for taking Deshaun Watson over John Ross in Draft - 1st round REDO
(09-28-2017, 04:03 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Sooooooooooooooooooo, you want us to follow the Mike Brown formula from the 90s?  Nervous

I'll admit that having Mike Brown oversee any idea that may get used could still end in things going up in Flames like in the 1990's.

As a general rule, however, if I was running an NFL team, I would try to stay 2 or 3 QBs deep on my roster similar to what the Patriots have done recently. They used a 2nd round pick on Garoppolo in 2014 and a 3rd round pick for Jacoby Brissett in 2016. They have had the opportunity to trade Garopollo for a large haul recently if they want to but have chosen to keep him, while making a trade of Brissett a 3rd rounder for a 1st round player in Phillip Dorsett when they really needed another receiver. Being QB rich Gave them trade options in a QB driven league.

We could have added Deshaun Watson and kept Dalton for say 1 to 3 years while trading McCarron for a 2nd round pick. If Dalton catches Fire and returns to 2015 form that would be fine with me. Watson would still hold a lot of trade value in the mean time. If Dalton falters, then go to Watson. This could still be done in the 2018 Draft with one of the QBs coming out then.

My point is that it is a QB driven league, so why not keep that position group at least 2 to 3 players Deep on the roster by using a 1st through 3rd round pick once every few years on a QB, especially if some don't see Dalton as a QB that can carry a team to a Super Bowl. It may take a stacked team around Dalton to win. We have been Lucky to have Dalton, in my opinion, but to me it doesn't hurt to bring in higher round QB prospects every so often to compete with each other. May find a Diamond that way and Dalton could still have a chance to get us there.

We could have done this instead of getting John Ross and have Watson under control for 5 years. John Ross could still pan out though and I hope he does.

There are Trade offs with any selection made. You give up whatever players were available at the time to take who you take, closing the door on possible benefits or cons taking those players may have offered. Then live with the consequences.

Maybe taking Watson goes up in Flames but it is interesting to me to discuss. We are ALL IN on John Ross now so hopefully it pays off.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Case building for taking Deshaun Watson over John Ross in Draft - 1st round REDO - depthchart - 09-28-2017, 04:32 PM