Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Underreported Point on Puerto Rico
(10-01-2017, 01:38 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Everyone is worried about their families during a disaster. That doesn't mean you should refuse to do your job to help others.

Otherwise the National Guard would never be able to help anyone. Or the police. Or the coast guard, etc, etc. They all have families, and they are probably worried about them too. It doesn't mean you ignore everything else.

Has there ever been a highly efficient relief effort where the local populace didn't help? You think the people of Austin just said "nah, I am worried more about me, F everyone else, I will just wait for everyone else to help me and ***** loudly when they don't do it quick enough" and that's why it went so well?

It isn't like they didn't know the hurricane was coming, yet they apparently made no plans to be able to distribute badly needed supplies that are just sitting there? You say how many people don't have water like it is an excuse for them to not show up. They and many others would have water if they showed up to do their job.

A C-130 can only land in so many places, and it only carries as much or less than a semi anyway. No relief effort will go well if the local populace isn't interested in helping themselves as well.

That's how you see the difference between the Haiti earthquake aftermath, and the tsunami aftermath that caused the Fukushima meltdown. Both had governments pouring money and supplies into it, but only one had the populace actively helping and working together to make things better.

Not to get too into the social sciences on this, but the response of 20% returning back to work is honestly pretty good considering the situation. What you have to think about when you see reports like this is Maslow's hierarchy of needs. In general, for people to go out and help others, they are going to need to have the first two levels of those needs met. That's just the general way human nature exhibits itself. If you have people that don't have their physiological and safety needs met, they aren't going to be thinking of much else. This is exactly what happens during a disaster. This is why we see looting when things happen, this is why we see shitty behavior from people when those of us on the outside are wondering why they aren't working together.

Now, again, this is just the general way things work. There are segments of the population that have a stronger drive to help others. But this is why we haven't seen the truckers come back. It's not a lack of leadership or planning, it's the fact that those truckers likely have no home, food, or water for them or their family. That is just human nature to take care of that, first.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Underreported Point on Puerto Rico - Belsnickel - 10-01-2017, 07:22 AM