Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Underreported Point on Puerto Rico
(10-01-2017, 07:22 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Not to get too into the social sciences on this, but the response of 20% returning back to work is honestly pretty good considering the situation. What you have to think about when you see reports like this is Maslow's hierarchy of needs. In general, for people to go out and help others, they are going to need to have the first two levels of those needs met. That's just the general way human nature exhibits itself. If you have people that don't have their physiological and safety needs met, they aren't going to be thinking of much else. This is exactly what happens during a disaster. This is why we see looting when things happen, this is why we see shitty behavior from people when those of us on the outside are wondering why they aren't working together.

Now, again, this is just the general way things work. There are segments of the population that have a stronger drive to help others. But this is why we haven't seen the truckers come back. It's not a lack of leadership or planning, it's the fact that those truckers likely have no home, food, or water for them or their family. That is just human nature to take care of that, first.

Good post.
So Puerto Rico is not Trumps Katrina after all. Thanks for making me aware of that. Sarcasm

About the looting though. The Japanese don't loot. After the tsunami and earthquake the Japanese instead of looting come together as a community to see what they could do to help.

I suppose there is a "study" done by some academic elitist to explain away why some cultures are more inclined to loot than others, after all, as humans we're all the same.
Unless we're talking diversity, then we're all different. It depends on what the liberal agenda of the day is.

I'm sure there is a

Messages In This Thread
RE: Underreported Point on Puerto Rico - Vlad - 10-01-2017, 09:03 AM