Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Case building for taking Deshaun Watson over John Ross in Draft - 1st round REDO
(10-02-2017, 12:10 PM)depthchart Wrote: I would assume there already has been a competition of sorts.

Lots of practice time for coaches to see both play.

It may be that the coaching staff just thinks Dalton is better than McCarron but as you imply, maybe they have not given McCarron enough of  a chance.

Difference to me is, and I can be wrong, that Deshaun Watson is an early 1st round talent versus McCarron who was a 5th round talent.
I get the Tom Brady was a 6th rounder argument and therefore, McCarron could pan out. Had they taken Watson, he would have had the early 1st round physical traits that Dalton and McCarron didn't have when they were drafted. Makes the QB room more talented for competition in a QB driven league.

My overall point with this Thread may be that teams should Always be in the QB market. At least seriously looking at the high round QBs as options every year. May not take one every year but looking. Seems like the Bengals and many teams miss chances at early round talent by not being open to pulling the trigger on that talent say once every 3 Drafts even if we already have a starter.

The Patriots have recent 2nd and 3rd round QBs that they have taken giving them trade options. The Redskins took Robert Griffin III in round 1 and then took Kirk Cousins in round 4 of the same Draft and many thought that was ODD at the time. It paid off for them to some degree with Cousins.

Just be in the QB Market and open to it. Don't stay out of it in early rounds for multiple years just because you have a starter.

Then let your Stacked QB room compete & maybe McCarron comes out on top or Andy or Watson.

It's just so tough here to use a 1st Round pick on a position of non-immediate need as we don't sign free agents.

Although...the Bengals did that with the Ross pick. Howard, Allen, and Foster would have all addressed arguably bigger needs.

The thing I like about a 1st Round QB is they cost a lot less for 5 years and could invest that money elsewhere...IF the team were to sign free agents. The thing I don't like is the miss rate on 1st Round QB's is soo high.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Case building for taking Deshaun Watson over John Ross in Draft - 1st round REDO - THE PISTONS - 10-02-2017, 12:37 PM