Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deadliest Mass Shooting in US History: 50 dead in Las Vegas
(10-02-2017, 06:37 PM)Benton Wrote: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/10/02/las-vegas-shooting-clinton-blasts-nra-fellow-dems-renew-call-for-gun-control-after-attack.html

Timing is bad, but can't say I disagree with the sentiment. As much as I'm a proponent of the Second, I also don't see any reason why a silencer should be legal. Fox calling her ignorant doesn't help the issue, especially when they use Loesch's tweet trying to describe silenced weapons as quiet as jackhammers. This didn't happen in the middle of a forest where the loudest thing is a bird chirp (and where a jackhammer would be noticeable). It was a music concert in a busy city, most likely well above 125-140 decibels where a lot of silenced weapons would fall. 

But we're back to rhetoric on both sides. Yay!

I'll preface this with my agreement that I don't really see a need for silencers either.

That said, I agree that the idea that it would have made the crowd unaware they were being shot at is some shit people watching way too many movies would say.

A silencer on a 5.56 rifle lowers the noise from like 160 decibels to 130.

To put that in some context, the Chiefs got back the loudest crowd record by producing 142 decibels. That's 76,000 people screaming with the intent on retaking the loudest stadium record back from the Seahawks. So I actually doubt the open air concert would have been loud enough to drown out the fire even with a silencer. Even with a silencer, the gun is still shooting bullets that are breaking the sound barrier. Unless he used sub-sonic rounds, in which case the gun would likely not have enough gas pressure left to cycle a fully automatic weapon.

That said, I still see no need for anyone to have one.

But yeah, "huzzah" rhetoric.

(10-02-2017, 06:45 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: The pathology between a shooter, a bomber and someone who poisons with gas are pretty different.

A guy who walks into a place to shoot it up with auto or semi-auto weapons knows he is going to have to face the law. He'll either be killed or arrested. Snipers have a different mentally, but they are very rare.

A bomber usually thinks they can get away, unless it is a suicide bomber. But suicide bombers are very rare and the person who makes the bomb is rarely the one willing to sacrifice their life detonating it.

Gas attacks are extremely rare to begin with because you have to know a few things to optimize the attack and because it is difficult to control and direct gas to a target. I've never heard of someone attacking with gas who doesn't try to protect themselves (i.e. a suicide gasser).

What is becoming disturbingly more common in some parts of the world are acid attacks. People put the acid in plastic spray bottles and then spray people in the face. These are rarely fatal, but cause pain, blindness and permanent disfigurement.

Yeah, I have no idea where that whole acid thing suddenly became popular from, but I keep hearing about it happening recently. It's some crazy shit, who even thought of that?

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Deadliest Mass Shooting in US History: 50 dead in Las Vegas - TheLeonardLeap - 10-02-2017, 07:15 PM