Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deadliest Mass Shooting in US History: 50 dead in Las Vegas
(10-02-2017, 07:15 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I'll preface this with my agreement that I don't really see a need for silencers either.

That said, I agree that the idea that it would have made the crowd unaware they were being shot at is some shit people watching way too many movies would say.

A silencer on a 5.56 rifle lowers the noise from like 160 decibels to 130.

To put that in some context, the Chiefs got back the loudest crowd record by producing 142 decibels. That's 76,000 people screaming with the intent on retaking the loudest stadium record back from the Seahawks. So I actually doubt the open air concert would have been loud enough to drown out the fire even with a silencer. Even with a silencer, the gun is still shooting bullets that are breaking the sound barrier. Unless he used sub-sonic rounds, in which case the gun would likely not have enough gas pressure left to cycle a fully automatic weapon.

That said, I still see no need for anyone to have one.

But yeah, "huzzah" rhetoric.

Yeah, I have no idea where that whole acid thing suddenly became popular from, but I keep hearing about it happening recently. It's some crazy shit, who even thought of that?

The problem there is distance. 

Concert noise is around 120 db. If someone was shooting in the middle of the concert at 130 or 160 db, yeah, it's louder. If they're firing from 100 yards away, the math here is way above me, but it's not as loud. In this instance, the guy was around 300 yards away. How much drop off in db's there was, no idea. People there reported hearing firecrackers. I would assume dropping it 20-30 db's, they might not have heard much of anything.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Deadliest Mass Shooting in US History: 50 dead in Las Vegas - Benton - 10-02-2017, 07:38 PM