Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Myths About Transition Regrets
(10-03-2017, 10:21 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: You advocated for ***** to be banned. Now we can't discuss auto repairs unless we type out the whole word. Which btw others tried to get banned as well.

Put up or shut up. Show evidence of my advocating for that, or any other word, to be banned/censored. I recall pointing out that it is a slur, but I don't recall ever advocating it be a banned word.

(10-03-2017, 10:21 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: You claimed it's disparaging. The problem is that not everyone thinks these words are disparaging. They may think it's out of place and sometimes inappropriate in certain context but as far as banning ...... that's not a consensus. Heck you have Some trying to get the use of ****** banned. It's madness man.

I will point something out here that I think is important to state, but I have a feeling will be ignored. When you use these words that are slurs and are not considered socially acceptable there are different reactions that you will garner. Those of us that pay attention to these things actually look at the context of their use to guide our reaction to this.

If someone uses a word that in years gone by may have been more acceptable in general conversation, we often tend to just discuss the use of the word not being deemed as appropriate in "polite conversation" anymore. We will even explain the reason why if it is asked because education is the tool to fight ignorance, and ignorance is the root of prejudice and discrimination.

Now, after having that happen there is continued whining, use of the words, use of the words in conjunction with other language that is disparaging, then there is no other way to take it but for it to be intended as derogatory. That is where we are at with you. Whether you choose to accept that or not, I don't really care at this point. You've made your biases clear, you have exhibited clear evidence that you consider people of the LGBT community as second-class. I can have discussions with other people that may disagree with me on the topic just fine because they do not choose to continually use disparaging terms.

That's why you get involved in these discussions. Words are just words, but contextually it is clear that your intent behind them is derogatory.

Messages In This Thread
Myths About Transition Regrets - GMDino - 10-03-2017, 09:53 AM
RE: Myths About Transition Regrets - Belsnickel - 10-04-2017, 09:33 AM