Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Really Happens When You Use the R-Word
(10-04-2017, 03:14 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Overall context and perceived intent, brother.

When is person is honestly attempting to have a serious conversation about something, those two things matter.

If they are discussing/debating a transgender/transsexual topic...and they purposely refuse to use the actual terms, and instead opt for word that is known to carry inflammatory connotations...then it's hard as hell to believe that person has any real interest in talking seriously. Instead, it can easily be perceived - and rightfully so- that the person is just seeking to bring attention to their self or instigating with the hopes of causing arguments that derail the topic.

If I'm trying to have a serious discussion about a subject concerning African- Americans (for instance)..there are certain terms that I purposely wouldn't use because - aside from not liking the words - they would add nothing to the topic, and would make me look incapable of having a grown up conversation. 

Anyone who claims to want to have 'serious' discussions, and then purposely and repeatedly  chooses the term that is well-known to be used more in a negative/derogatory fashion by those that oppose the subject matter, instead of the actual and commonly accepted term...then they have to expect to be challenged on their intent. 

As it pertains to this board, people need to keep in mind that this is a football/sports message board first and foremost. PnR is one of the bonuses of board, but it's not the centerpiece. There are plenty of places on the interwebz where all types of language is permitted and you can basically say any damn thing you want. This board isn't one of them. There are certain restrictions here - based on respect, thoughtfulness and common sense. The day that those things no longer matter on this site, is the day I walk away from it. Thankfully, to the overall majority of members here, I think it matters a lot...and it's what makes this place fun to hang out for everyone, not just one group or another.

The only context I have ever used is as a descriptor. The derogatory is just perceived and the fact remains the only negative or derogatory thing I have said about them is that they were weird. The only reason that I didn't use another word is because I was posted a list of about 50 made up words. One being four wolf. It was beyond ridiculous. I chose to stick with the common and familiar term.

As for the board, I really don't care what words are allowed or banned I was just stating that the same arguments made about ****** were the same ones about *****. It's always the same group of people who want to lecture us all on word choices.

Respect, thoughtfulness, and common sense matter to me as well. I just wish some here would stop trying to lecture and just discuss the topics at hand. Part of having respect for others is not lecturing which is what I wish would stop from regular members

Messages In This Thread
RE: What Really Happens When You Use the R-Word - StLucieBengal - 10-04-2017, 05:19 PM