Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This Supreme Court Case Could Radically Reshape Politics
(10-04-2017, 04:35 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: Lines are drawn every ten years after the census is taken to add or subtract reps. It's not the fault of Republicans that they win during these crucial years to get the Priviledge to redraw the lines, lol.

Needless to say, lines should be drawn in a grid across states. Depending on the population, the box is either expanded or contracted. There should be no more "Jaws of Death" rewrites around areas to force reps out. They should only be split to add or subtract depending on population.

I don't think we need perfect shapes, but the need to truly represent a physical community and not a political community. The Democrats do it in my state. A bulk of the Maryland panhandle, which is pure Appalachia, is gerrymandered into a chunk of an ultra wealthy suburb outside of DC. They're 3 hours apart in a state where the furthest two points are only 5 hours apart. Previously the whole panhandle was with the Northern part of the state in a cohesive district. It wouldn't be a perfect grid, but it made sense as a community. You had a guy from that area representing their needs. Now they have a rich guy who live in this posh community representing poor mountain folk. 

Quote:By the way, how many Representitives should there be in the United States according to the Constitution? I know it's more than what we actually have, I'm just wondering what that number is supposed to be.

There's no number, it just says it can't be more than 1 for every 30,000. It let Congress decide the number. Our current number, 435, was established as the new fixed amount in 1929. The first was 120 (about 1 for every 32,000) By the Constitution, we could go up to 10,000 representatives given our population, but at 435, we're 1 for every 730,000 or so. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: This Supreme Court Case Could Radically Reshape Politics - BmorePat87 - 10-04-2017, 06:10 PM