Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deadliest Mass Shooting in US History: 50 dead in Las Vegas
(10-06-2017, 01:15 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: What is interesting is we have enough research and data to have a good idea of what would work, but to be convincing we need it to get out there more and we need the studies to be replicated. That is where the issues lie. The studies also indicate that things like assault weapons bans and things like that won't do a damn thing. The research shows that universal background checks (to include private party transfers) would be the most effective means of reducing firearm violence, and that a waiting period of three days would be one of the best prevention methods for firearm suicides.

I agree on all counts.  If you'll recall I stated many years ago on the old board that the only gun control law that has any effect on crime are background checks.  I have no issue with a waiting period for first time firearm type buyers either.  It does annoy the shit out of me that I have to wait ten days, in CA, to pick up a firearm when I already own several.  

Quote:That's where current research has us. But what we really want is the ability to look at root causes. These surface level things will help, but not as much as addressing other systemic issues that lead to gun violence.

That's actually easy too, street gangs.  There's reams of studies and evidence about street gangs, why they exist, why people join them, etc.  Most gun related violence is criminal on criminal.  Chicago's murder rate is almost solely fueled by this, outside of certain areas Chicago is a safe city.  This would require people having honest discussions about the issue though, and we can't have that.  Far better to take the easy way out and try and ban guns and watch the murder rate stay constant, or rise.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Deadliest Mass Shooting in US History: 50 dead in Las Vegas - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 10-06-2017, 01:21 PM