Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deadliest Mass Shooting in US History: 50 dead in Las Vegas
(10-06-2017, 01:21 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I agree on all counts.  If you'll recall I stated many years ago on the old board that the only gun control law that has any effect on crime are background checks.  I have no issue with a waiting period for first time firearm type buyers either.  It does annoy the shit out of me that I have to wait ten days, in CA, to pick up a firearm when I already own several.  

This is one reason I am in favor of the "permit to purchase" model. Creating a system where you visit your locality, every year, maybe two, and get a background check done and a permit that says you are cleared to buy a firearm. The person you are buying from calls into the locality, gives a number on the card to verify it is still valid, bam, quick and painless. If you have to plan ahead by obtaining the card, it provides a built in waiting period for a first-time buyer and prevents that spur of the moment purchase in anger or depression, and it can also reduce the time spent waiting for a background check at the time of purchase and make it easier for a private transfer situation. Putting it at the local level can allow for them to flag a permit if something happens legally, like they would a concealed permit currently.

(10-06-2017, 01:21 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: That's actually easy too, street gangs.  There's reams of studies and evidence about street gangs, why they exist, why people join them, etc.  Most gun related violence is criminal on criminal.  Chicago's murder rate is almost solely fueled by this, outside of certain areas Chicago is a safe city.  This would require people having honest discussions about the issue though, and we can't have that.  Far better to take the easy way out and try and ban guns and watch the murder rate stay constant, or rise.

No one wants to dig into the nitty gritty of the socioeconomic factors that cause these sorts of problems. Those are too difficult to fix and would offend the delicate sensibilities of a lot of conservative type folks.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Deadliest Mass Shooting in US History: 50 dead in Las Vegas - Belsnickel - 10-06-2017, 01:33 PM