Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deadliest Mass Shooting in US History: 50 dead in Las Vegas
(10-06-2017, 02:31 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I'd be fine with this as well, to a point.  There's a lot of potential for abuse by anti-gun types in that model, like what is a valid reason to issue such a permit.

Ah, well, in the model which I am thinking there is not a reason needed. It is a "shall issue" situation based upon clearing the background check. If we are going to stick with the current interpretation of the 2nd, then that is the only viable option.

(10-06-2017, 02:31 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: To be sure, but it wouldn't just be the right being squeamish.  Thomas Sowell has a lot of excellent writings on how the welfare state has destroyed the black family in America.  If you're not familiar with him, I'd recommend reading some of his works.  I also agree with him on the issue of legalizing drugs, although maybe not all of them as he has suggested.

I'm familiar with Sowell, and while his work is compelling it may be subject to some of the typical flaws we see in arguments made from partisan researchers. Finding causal relationships when the evidence is only correlative, overgeneralizations, etc. I will say that our current welfare system is flawed, but what would help will still require domestic spending on social programs and that is something conservatives (and our current flock of neo-liberal Democrats) won't take too kindly to. I tell people all the time that I am a New Deal type of Democrat, but FDR and his breed weren't perfect, and how the programs affected minorities and women is a primary example of that. We need to reform welfare to help these issues that are the root of gang violence and other issues, but it's going to cost us.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Deadliest Mass Shooting in US History: 50 dead in Las Vegas - Belsnickel - 10-06-2017, 03:02 PM