Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
End the rb trio committee for Mixon
(09-18-2017, 02:47 PM)Millhouse Wrote: I wasn't the biggest fan of the Mixon selection in the draft.
I have been a Gio advocate for years to get more playing time.
I thought Hill should have been let go after he fumbled away the win against Pitt in the playoff game.

Going into week three with a 0-2 start, I am now in the opinion that it is time to start Mixon and give him the bulk of the carries making him the new workhorse. Let him have 20-30 carries, bring Gio in on 3rd and longs, then maybe use Hill if there is a short yardage situation.

A running back needs consistent touches to get a feel for the guys up front blocking for them. And though I was hesitant to want Mixon to start early on the year due to his inexperience, I'm not anymore. Let the kid play and see what he has. And using Gio more sparingly with fresher legs will maximize his runs as well.
I'm against it......I like what new OC Lazor is doing.  He is out of Joe Gibbs Championship Redskins coaching and I like that as Forrest Gregg of Lombardi and Zimmer of Bill Parcells.  ....Mixon IS getting his carries, but Bernard is proving to be a huge weapon also.  Hill can still pound the rock.  ....I see most NFL teams in 2017 are doing RB by committee, even those with super star running backs are sending in other RBs.  ......I liked the Lazor offense against Green Bay and Cleveland.  I can see what he is trying to do.  He is speeding it up. They are lining up faster.  Running the plays quicker and crisper. What our young O Linemen like Big Og have is youthful speed and he is using that on sweeps and screens as opposed to lining them up with a WR in those stupid Hue and Zampese formations. 

Yes, you will see Mixon, but you will see Bernard and Hill also.  Lazor is not just moving these guys in and out like Zampese, Lazor seems to be picking the right RB for the right play.  So far I like what Lazor is doing and when Bernard scores on touchdown passes, I do not cry because it wasn't Mixon.  So far, I like this Joe Gibbs Lazor attack.  The huge thing is he is using the faster O Line in ways to use that speed, calling plays where WR's and RBs are wide open for passes, and rebuilding confidence in Andy Dalton with short quick air strikes which is helping Dalton get back to hitting the deep routes again. 

For now, I don't care which RB Lazor has in the game as long as we score points and win.  Mixon has looked good, but so has Bernard and Hill is still pounding for some 9 yard carries.  Every team in NFL is using multiple RB's in 2017.  Lazor seems to be getting the right ones in for the right play.  You can not just say Mixon, Bernard on 3rd down and Hill short yardage because NFL defenses will be all over that vanilla approach.  Lazor is getting the right back in for the right play of his and so far it's working.  I like the team is in more of a Sam Whyche hurry up mode as these plays come quicker, crisper, faster than under Hue or Zampese. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: End the rb trio committee for Mixon - kevin - 10-07-2017, 02:04 PM