Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Arian Foster goes public not believing in God
(08-15-2015, 12:11 PM)xxlt Wrote: Thanks to the OP for this thread. The article on Foster is indeed a very good read. I liked the phrase the article said Chris Kluwe used to describe himself: "Cheerfully Agnostic."

I think for all the talk you hear in many religious circles about humility that many religious lack it. Is there anything more humble than saying, "I don't know."? On my good days I can line up with Kluwe and be cheerfully agnostic. On most days though, I tend to be happily atheist and a bit distressed about the faith of many - because of the inconsistencies which Foster (and others) do such a good job of pointing out. But, I try along with Foster to see the reasons people believe (inconsistencies notwithstanding) do have some positive elements and if not all at least some of the tenets of religion do help some people to be better people.

I think it is the ones who can really challenge themselves - as Forsett does in his dialogue with Foster - who benefit the most from their religious journey. Sadly, for many it is not a journey. They just signed up, put the dogma card in their wallet, and never thought about it again. I find someone like Foster or his mother who have moved from faith to faith and read Bible, Koran, Vedas, etc. and always continued the journey and always continued to question so much more interesting and almost always to be "better Christians" than the robo-Christians who never think about what they believe and why. They are just better and more interesting people most of the time. It allows them to say things like Foster said - "I have an open mind." While he doesn't believe in God now he allows the possibility that his beliefs could change. It is sad many religious folks can't have that same sort of openness.
I didn't believe in God when I was his age either.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Arian Foster goes public not believing in God - jason - 08-15-2015, 12:16 PM