Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
End the rb trio committee for Mixon
(10-08-2017, 07:30 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 1. If you say so. Since the beginning of last year, Hill has 5 carries of over 20 yards (once every 49.4 carries). Bernard has 2 such carries (once every 54.5 carries). Hill's gains were also longer (gains of 74, 50, 40 and a pair that went for 20). Gio has a 25 and a 23 yard run. So maybe we should start Hill? I'm kidding. Personally, I think the story is not the long gains, but those terrible averages in between. 

A good run game isn't about breaking off a decent chunk every 50 carries or so (which is bad, btw). We should be getting consistent little chunks on 1st down that set us up for 3rd and short which is much easier to convert. Too often, our backs are slamming into a line that is consistently fubar with not even the slightest hint of a hole to speak of.

2. The only time Gio averaged 15+ carries for any stretch was the first 8 games of 2014. When he was named the starter going into the season. He averaged 15.8 carries and his YPC was 3.90. If anyone remembers, Gio was viewed as at least a mild disappointment in the starting role. Now that was when the o-line was at least decent. Imagine him starting and getting the bulk of carries behind this line.

Gio looks refreshed this year, and he has the wiggle to make something out of nothing at times. I don't expect that to happen often enough for him to average 4.9 YPC in a starting role behind this line. At some point, this line needs to make holes.

Hill and Bernard combined for 3.0 YPC. I'm not sure why you're all by your lonesome acting like the o-line isn't a problem. 

How many times do we need to switch talented backs around before we realize that they're not all the problem?

Can't admit the O-line is a problem without the AD is our downfall narrative falling apart.  ThumbsUp
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: End the rb trio committee for Mixon - bengalfan74 - 10-08-2017, 08:22 PM