Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Target removes gender based signage for kids
(08-15-2015, 12:03 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: http://www.theblaze.com/contributions/yes-i-do-want-my-daughter-to-conform-to-her-gender/

Found this and it's perfect for this thread. Since wanting a girl to be feminine seems to be a crazy and radical concept to some here.    

.  .  .  When we understand the imperatives of gender, we understand that it’s actually incredible and poetic that my son runs to the truck and my daughter to the doll. Even at their young age, they feel a certain pull and calling that they can’t explain. I see this particularly in their relationship with each other. My daughter will help her brother wipe his hands and clean his face after they’re done eating dinner. My son will race to the rescue with a look of concern whenever his sister is hurt or crying. She cares for him. He protects her (except for when he’s throwing things at her). It’s beautiful. Who could have a problem with this? Who could be so ridiculous and superficial that they would try to drain these children of these impulses just because the impulses are “gender stereotypes”? Maybe they’re stereotypes for a reason.

We attack the gender norms merely because they’re norms, but nobody ever explains what’s actually wrong with them. 

Here is what is wrong with this type pf thinking.  Why would it be a BAD thing for the boy to help the girl wiper her hands?  Why would it be a bad thing for the daughter to run to the rescue of her brother when he is hurt or crying?  Why do we have to put limits on our children like this?  why shouldn't we say that children of BOTH sexes should be kind and nurturing?  Why can't we say that ALL children should run to help others no matter what sex they are?

No one wants to do away with these positive norms of behavior.  That would be ridiculous.  but it is silly to claim that a boy is somehow limited and unable to be caring and nurturing or that a girl is limited and it is impossible for her to run to the rescue of anyone.

Instead of putting limits on our children based on their sex we should tell them that they can have as many positive traits as they want.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Target removes gender based signage for kids - fredtoast - 08-15-2015, 03:10 PM