Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
There is precedence for recovering after a bad start
(10-11-2017, 01:29 PM)depthchart Wrote: Interesting to me that the Chiefs traded UP to get QB Patrick Mahomes last Draft.

They gave a 1st and 3rd in 2017 plus a 1st round pick in 2018.

I have harped on us taking Deshaun Watson (without need for a trade up) as a Hindsight move instead of taking John Ross and taken some heat for it, however, the Chiefs move lit a Fire under Alex Smith while giving them a Young QB in place on their roster for the future.

The Bengals could have just picked Watson. No expensive Trade up. Fire lit under Dalton while Watson develops.

My main point with all of this is that highly paid GMs make the mistake of ignoring the QB Market for multiple years once they have a starter.
This allows other teams like Houston to get a Franchise QB (Deshaun Watson) which just made the AFC tougher. We even lost to Watson.

The Chiefs paid up for Mahomes because they kept an eye on the QB market even with Alex Smith in place.

Andy Reid likely saw Smith has having limitations that could prevent a Superbowl run so he traded up for Mahomes.

Is Dalton limited in his ability for a Super bowl run or does he need a similar Fire lit with Top Notch QB competition added to the Bengals when a chance arises early in a Draft?

Hell, I don't understand why you got any heat over it.  I would have taken Watson.  A few years ago, I was for drafting Bridgewater (luckily we didn't, who knew?).  I think KC realizes Smith is getting older, not concerned with his performance.  I think Dalton CAN do it, the question is will he?  He's still young, but you can never prepare enough for the future, or for an inopportune injury.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: There is precedence for recovering after a bad start - Wyche'sWarrior - 10-11-2017, 01:37 PM