Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump to become first president to speak at anti-LGBT hate group's summit
(10-13-2017, 12:44 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: The left and islam is a bit of an odd alliance.  As opposition to islam's extreme tenants typically comes from the right, the left tends to defend them as victims of oppression.  This is ironic

It#s also not entirely accurate, isn't it? I do not see said "alliance". That opposition to medieval beliefs in Islam isn't strong enough on the left side is something I do not like either... but you can't really forge an alliance out of that. An anti-gay stance is not accepted in wide parts of the left, no matter if these stances are expressed by muslims, christians or whom ever. Now granted I don't know the US as good, but it would really surprise me if the US left really said muslim homophobia is just fine and we are in alliance with them against Christmas and stuff :)

(10-13-2017, 12:44 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: considering that islam, as practiced in most places, especially muslim majority countries, is about as conservative an ideology as currently exists on this planet.  Women and homosexuals are routinely treated in ways that couldn't even be considered in western countries.  The howls of outrage over, not insignificant but comparatively minor, things such as Title 9 or marriage equality dwarf those directed at the behavior condoned and justified in most of the world in the name of islam.

The priorities might be wrong, and the left might have some fear of appearing oppressive to other cultures, hence holding their tongue too much. As i said. That's all I am giving you on that one though. The left is not a fan of Saudi-Arabia or places like the ones you described.
Your assessment is not entirely fair, and the irony you see seems a bit constructed. Oh yeah. Take that. :)
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Trump to become first president to speak at anti-LGBT hate group's summit - hollodero - 10-13-2017, 01:04 PM