Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump to become first president to speak at anti-LGBT hate group's summit
(10-13-2017, 12:49 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I couldn't care less what SPLC labels them, nor do I care about how other religions view gay people. I don't even know where the Muslim comment came from.

I'll explain.  The left rightfully rails against discrimination coming from the religious right, which in this country is generally Christian based faiths.  However, at the exact same time they turn a blind eye, or at least temper their outrage, to similar offenses perpetrated by Islamic faith adherents.  Do you recall the female genital mutilation case in Minnesota?  Was there an enormous outrage over this?  You even had people arguing that it's part of the culture.

Quote:A group that lobbies government officials to legalize discrimination against a class of people and calls them detrimental to society on the basis of their gender, orientation, race, or any similar factor is a hate group. Discrimination is hostility towards a group.

So, then the catholic church is a hate group.  I have no problems with labels as long as they are applied equally to anyone who fits the criteria.

Quote:To clarify, the label I apply to them has to do with their actions and statements, not the labels used by any other group. I don't think any logical poster here would argue with labeling the Family Research Council a "hate group" if we took everything they wrote and lobbied for and replaced sexual orientation with skin color, age, or disability. Giving someone a pass because they justify discrimination with religion doesn't make it any less immoral.

We agree 100%.  Sadly, many do not share this level of consistency.  Religious based reasons for hateful activity are no more justifiable than secular ones.

(10-13-2017, 01:04 PM)hollodero Wrote: It#s also not entirely accurate, isn't it? I do not see said "alliance". That opposition to medieval beliefs in Islam isn't strong enough on the left side is something I do not like either... but you can't really forge an alliance out of that. An anti-gay stance is not accepted in wide parts of the left, no matter if these stances are expressed by muslims, christians or whom ever. Now granted I don't know the US as good, but it would really surprise me if the US left really said muslim homophobia is just fine and we are in alliance with them against Christmas and stuff :)

If the left applied the same level of scrutiny to islam that they did to the religious right in America then they would be engaged in non-stop outrage.  Instead, you have liberal leaning sources like HuffPo and the Guardian constantly seeking to mitigate or ignore these excesses.  It's more of a, "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" type of alliance but it's still an alliance.  How could a pro women movement include Linda Sarsour as a main leader if this were not the case?  She told an anti FMGM activist that she wished that she wished an asswhopping upon her and wished she could take their vaginas away?  I don't recall much if any outrage over that or any of her other highly questionable statements or beliefs.

Quote:The priorities might be wrong, and the left might have some fear of appearing oppressive to other cultures, hence holding their tongue too much. As i said. That's all I am giving you on that one though. The left is not a fan of Saudi-Arabia or places like the ones you described.

Tacit approval is still approval.  If you stay silent or fail to speak against something, for whatever reason, then you are condoning it.  Especially if you criticize and castigate other people for the exact same type of offense.  Let's look at a huge hypocrite, Ashley Judd.  She settled a harassment case against Weinstein years ago, yet she rails against Trump for similar activities.  Maybe if she had a spine and refused to take Weinstein's money in exchange for her silence she could have prevented him from victimizing hundreds of other women.  Like I said, consistency is important, selective outrage doesn't impress me much.

Quote:Your assessment is not entirely fair, and the irony you see seems a bit constructed. Oh yeah. Take that. :)

If you see it that way.  I certainly don't, for reasons I hope I've explained a bit better.  I could go into more detail if you like.  You probably don't. Smirk

Messages In This Thread
RE: Trump to become first president to speak at anti-LGBT hate group's summit - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 10-13-2017, 03:57 PM