Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yes, our OL is that bad - It's not your imagination
(10-15-2017, 08:01 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: How did I know that you'd take the easy way out and pick something that wasn't discussed in this thread.

Let's re-ask: What specifically IN THIS THREAD have people whined about that has proven not true.

Let me sum some of it:

1 ) The Bengals draft guys that don't play Year 1 which doesn't help us.
2 ) The line is bad.
3 ) The Bengals shouldn't have let Zeitler and Whitworth walk.
4 ) The Bengals need to use free agency
5 ) The Bengals are complacent and see positions that need upgraded and do nothing.
6 ) Ross was a bad pick because he is small and had a lot of injury red flags
7 ) Letting guys walk and citing compensatory picks is stupid

First, my assertion that fans are fixated on instant gratification is a general statement which applies to more than this thread. So applying that logic over more than a few issues in this thread is valid. Second, it is a trend I have noticed over years of watching our team, and then being on here reading the posts. I will try in the future to write down or remember examples as they come up to be able to provide you with more evidence. But addressing your points above:

1) The only guy the Bengals drafted that they knew would not likely play year 1 was Ogbuehi due to his injury. Most other recent cases have been due to the luxury of having good players already in place which the new guys could watch and learn.
2) The OL is below par....but improving. The 2 young tackles have been having a harder time than anticipated. But bad OL has become a problem for more teams in the NFL than just the Bengals. Lap was commenting on how colleges have gotten away from asking their OTs to do the things they will be expected to do in the NFL. Many recent OL picks have performed below expectations. OL used to be the safest draft pick, and has now become one of the biggest crapshoots.
3) The Bengals made a comparable offer to Whit, although it was one year instead of 2. And there is no way they should have paid Zeitler $12M per year like the browns did. 
4) When you say the Bengals need to use FA, I am guessing you mean paying for "big name" FAs early in the game. You and I will have to disagree on this one. I don't think too many highly paid FAs have made the difference on their new teams. Sure, there are examples, but for the most part, FA has been a risky proposition, and costs you a lot more in cap room and salary than a draft pick bust.
5) The Bengals D was old and slow. They went out and got faster more athletic guys over the past two years...and they are playing them. That is not complacency.
6) We won't know if Ross was a bad pick for 2 or 3 years. That's your opinion at this point.
7) Letting guys walk is not stupid, overpaying and getting into cap trouble is stupid. It is easy for fans to scream "pay him" since it isn't their money.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Yes, our OL is that bad - It's not your imagination - Beaker - 10-16-2017, 05:51 PM