Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Teacher punished for using the T word
(10-18-2017, 03:43 PM)Benton Wrote: Understandable, but that's still just a misuse of the word, for the most part. A lot of folks call politicians thieves or crooks or liars; none of those terms become synonymous with "middle age white men" just because another politician or someone with a soap box uses the term.

But I'll admit, as bfine mentioned, it may just be more of a regional usage (or in our case, lack thereof).

It's not regional. Obama joined Maryland's governor and Baltimore's former mayor (who is black) in calling rioters in Baltimore "thugs". 

It's just that it's ALSO being used that way (a misuse as you've pointed out). I don't think this guy meant it in that way. It's not like this is a stand out NFL player known for being academically talented and articulate being called a "thug" for calling an opposing player "a sorry ass receiver". Based on the police report, they committed a serious assault on a kid. When I only saw the video on the news report I caught, they had it playing on repeat, making it look like some Jackass stunt. Now that I know the context, that seems in poor taste and I would agree that these kids are punks/thugs (punks is what I've grown up using). 

But despite that... don't comment publicly on social media if you're in anyway associated with a school. Especially if you're only a volunteer, the school board won't think twice about banning you to avoid a controversy. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Teacher punished for using the T word - BmorePat87 - 10-18-2017, 06:15 PM