Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump to become first president to speak at anti-LGBT hate group's summit
(10-18-2017, 05:43 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'm assuming you are referring to the one asking if I thought it was good, bad, or irrelevant if trump speaking at an-anti LBGT rally.

My answer was given back toward the beginning. I would wait to hear his words. I have zero issue with him speaking, same as I would have no issue with him speaking at a KKK rally or BLM rally. I would judge him by his words. Who knows, he might speak of tolerance.

Which is better: Speaking to the tolerant about tolerance or speaking to the intolerant about it.

I know I do the latter on here often.

Yeah, that one. OK you're right, let's see what he has to say there. Although I do have a feeling it might not be amongst the lines of your best-case scenario. But that's just a hunch at this point not worthy of additional consideration.

Now tolerance or intolerance, be that as it may, but in any case Trump didn't exactly behave like a model for tolerance so far. The anti-LGBT-group speech will be yet another opportunity to change that perception of mine, which he usually doesn't do. Not by my fault, that is.

(10-18-2017, 05:48 PM)GMDino Wrote: But that is what is being presented:  The "left" is intolerant because they speak out against people who are intolerant.  Which ignores the people being spoken out against are racist/evil.

Yes, they do, they speak out against truely intolerant people and viewpoints. More power to them doing so. But some do not stop there. Some take it a step too far in claiming an opposing viewpoint is "intolerant". Parts of the left are no strangers to using rhetorical tricks, deliberate misunderstanding, selective perception, manipulative talking points, exaggerations and everything else in the book to prove someone with a different opinion holds ill will inside his mind. It does serve no purpose to deny these tendencies, that are as obvious to see as they are on the right side.

Although, of course, in my personal opinion leftist people really often are driven by the will to be good people with good hearts saying all the right things. The means, however, often indeed are just meant to deevaluate others with other opinions, to call them this and that and put them in an unflattering box, to stop the conversation and feel superior. To deny the existence of these patterns by just saying "they speak out against the intolerant" is, in a sense, also just selective perception.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Trump to become first president to speak at anti-LGBT hate group's summit - hollodero - 10-18-2017, 06:21 PM