Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump to become first president to speak at anti-LGBT hate group's summit
(10-23-2017, 11:53 PM)hollodero Wrote: Hm. If someone told me the words "Merry Christmas" were offensive to anyone, I would consider that person to be an idiot. I probably wouldn't say it out loud and be a bit mad at myself for not doing so afterwards, but that's not normal and isn't about to become the new normal either. I know I'm from a somewhat different culture and also about PC police stretches, but it doesn't really go quite that far. A few strange fellas are of course everywhere, you say you have met some, but the "Merry Christmas is offensive" people are not an influential sociological group, while the "those people are idiots" group probably is.

Which is why I feel the fear of the words Merry Christmas to be frowned upon and forbidden by PC soon is, to put it too mildly, way overblown. That rather childish talking point annoys me. The fact that nothing annoyed me more about the speech though means Trump was probably quite composed. Boring, almost.

And issues with nativity scenes? Removed from where exactly, this is dependent on context. In general, I'm all for everyone focusing on what he wants to be focused on.

Against the intent of the founding fathers, US religionists have increasingly introduced "God" into state affairs. Many think the US should be a kind of theocratic democracy, founded specifically upon Christianity but not "established" on any specific denomination. 

When municipal, state or federal officials spend taxpayer money on manger scenes--that's where the trouble begins. The US has many non-Christians, as well as some Christians, who are concerned about the separation of church and state.
This can carry over to public schools as well, where school boards often afford explicitly Christian-themed Christmas programs.  I am 100% behind this, though I often say "Merry Christmas" to people. In fact, I don't know of anyone who really gets upset over this, though Bill O'Reilly assured his viewers every year that this was the case.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Trump to become first president to speak at anti-LGBT hate group's summit - Dill - 10-24-2017, 01:10 AM