Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Skillset Needed to Win as a HC for the Bengals
(10-25-2017, 01:10 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Ok, so I see a bunch of people throwing down a wish list of guys who likely wouldn't come here. But, do you even realize what skillset a head coach needs? What role a HC has compared to an OC or DC?

Let's put together a job description:

1 ) Must be able to scout college talent and make wise draft picks.
2 ) Must be able to motivate the team and keep it focused.
3 ) Must be able to prepare team for games mentally and physically (training camp).
4 ) Must be willing to work under the unique management structure that the Bengals have in place. Must not complain about this management structure.
5 ) Must hold players accountable and not be afraid to call players out.
6 ) Must be a catalyst for change...and create a winning organizational culture.
7 ) Must be able to create an overall philosophical identity of the team and disseminate this down to the coordinators and position coaches. Must give coordinators autonomy to implement their plays/schemes but make sure your overall philosophy is followed.
8 ) Must be able to find bargains in free agency, and be willing to move on from underperforming veterans.
9 ) Must be willing to challenge the status quo. Must despise not making the playoffs and not be content with losing a playoff game because you appeared in the playoffs.
10 ) Must create a culture where young football players are given an opportunity to develop.

Thoughts? What am I missing?

I think that when we look at this list objectively, that a lot of coaches may not be able to handle some of these tasks. Like pluck a Patriots assistant and I doubt they have the experience scouting college players because they have a great personnel department.

What will sell me on the next HC, no matter who it is, is if they acknowledge that games are won and lost in the trenches. He needs to speak on the importance of the offensive line above all other positions on the offense and pretty much the same thing on the defensive side of things. 
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Skillset Needed to Win as a HC for the Bengals - PhilHos - 10-25-2017, 02:13 PM