Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Skillset Needed to Win as a HC for the Bengals
(10-25-2017, 01:10 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Ok, so I see a bunch of people throwing down a wish list of guys who likely wouldn't come here. But, do you even realize what skillset a head coach needs? What role a HC has compared to an OC or DC?

Let's put together a job description:

1 ) Must be able to scout college talent and make wise draft picks.
2 ) Must be able to motivate the team and keep it focused.
3 ) Must be able to prepare team for games mentally and physically (training camp).
4 ) Must be willing to work under the unique management structure that the Bengals have in place. Must not complain about this management structure.
5 ) Must hold players accountable and not be afraid to call players out.
6 ) Must be a catalyst for change...and create a winning organizational culture.
7 ) Must be able to create an overall philosophical identity of the team and disseminate this down to the coordinators and position coaches. Must give coordinators autonomy to implement their plays/schemes but make sure your overall philosophy is followed.
8 ) Must be able to find bargains in free agency, and be willing to move on from underperforming veterans.
9 ) Must be willing to challenge the status quo. Must despise not making the playoffs and not be content with losing a playoff game because you appeared in the playoffs.
10 ) Must create a culture where young football players are given an opportunity to develop.

Thoughts? What am I missing?

I think that when we look at this list objectively, that a lot of coaches may not be able to handle some of these tasks. Like pluck a Patriots assistant and I doubt they have the experience scouting college players because they have a great personnel department.

Three basic characteristics:  Accountability, Creativity, Discipline.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Skillset Needed to Win as a HC for the Bengals - SHRacerX - 10-26-2017, 08:37 AM