Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
1st Step - Fire O-line Coach Paul Alexander just as they did Ken Zampese
(10-24-2017, 04:06 PM)jowczarski Wrote: On a practical level, they can't fire Alexander because they'd have literally no one to coach the offensive line then. No one. Kyle Caskey assisted on the OL waayy back in his QC coach days, and Robert Couch is the current QC. He's not a full fledged assistant. Also, at this point in time, if you're talking about coaching techniques/theory - even if you fired a guy and brought in a new guy off the street, man, you're in season. That would be a bigger disaster than you realize and frankly, it's impossible to do. It's not like a hitting or pitching coach in baseball where it's all just mental coaching.

The Coslet thing is a little overblown, to be honest. Here's what I'll say from talking to people around the league - Paul Alexander, as an OL coach, basically invented the vertical pass set. It was revolutionary at the time, well-respected - and let's be real - once the team decided to once again reinvest in drafting linemen high with Willie Anderson, it worked.

It's fair to point out that there wasn't that investment for a long while with only Zeitler being a first-round pick until the tackles 2015. Can you build a line with fourth-fifth-round picks? Maybe. Obviously the piper has now been paid.

As for the future - all I'll say is there aren't any coaches under contract in 2018. I think everyone is up for evaluation after this season.

.....but you had Whitworth in round 2, Clint Boling was as high as a 2nd rounder on some mocks and scouting reports, we picked up Bobbie Williams in FA, Levi Jones was a NUMBER 10 PICK, Andre Smith was a first rounder, he let Mathis flop here.....he's had the talent.  In fact, the only times he's been successful is when he's had lines mostly filled (except Center.....God forbid we'd get a useful C) with upper level talent.  With all due respect, you missed some dots when you were connecting from Willie Anderson to Kevin Zeitler there.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: 1st Step - Fire O-line Coach Paul Alexander just as they did Ken Zampese - Wyche'sWarrior - 10-26-2017, 09:29 AM