Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You Coach the Bengals - What Strategy Would You Use?
(10-30-2017, 01:29 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Name your strategy for both offense and defense. I see some small group of people predicting 10 wins from here. How will the Bengals do it? What strategy?

You coach the Bengals...talk about what you'd do.

Think Marvin is a bad coach? Now is your chance!

I would come out with two TEs (Kroft and Uzo), two WRs (Green and a rotation of Core, Malone, Ross, and Lafell) and a single back (rotate Gio and Mixon).  Dalton in shotgun.  Bunch formation of the two TEs and the rotational WR not named Green on one side, AJ on the other.  Never line the back up at the line of scrimmage.  Empty backfield is a sack in waiting for this team.  Focus on two deep patters each play.  There must be at least 5 vertical shots taken each game.  Go no-huddle.  No substitutions  on any drive.  When we need short yardage, keep a TE in line and pound it with the other TE being the H-back (Hewitt when he returns, Uzo and Kroft can do this now).  The defense gets no substitutions on any drive without a time out or penalty.  

Focus on the numbers.  Gruden pointed this out with Denver last night.  Their rushing attack was quite impressive, but Simeon sucks and threw 4 INTs.  He would audible the rush to the side where the Chiefs had fewer defenders due to the passing attack and the rush design.  I would ensure balance of near 50/50 pass/rush selection and run several end-arounds to WRs Core and Ross.  

I would also practice like hell, the hard count.  Some folks on here called it a gimmick, but KC essentially ended the game last night (it was closer than the score indicated) be hard-counting the opposition in to offsides on three separate occasions.  Aaron Rogers has made a living at this and so has Brady.  Dalton has a very strong "pitch" for this (see sport science on his draft evaluation).  Be disciplined, and have at least one hard count EACH SNAP to see what the defense is tipping off.  No, you won't always not snap the first cadence, as that would become predictable, like the rest of the offense.  The cadence has to be LOUD.

The defense.  The most aggressive, best talent play.  MJ can rotate at DT and that is it.  My DEs are Dunlap, Willis, Smith, and Lawson.  Run some mix of 3-4 with Geno and MJ as the DEs with Pat Sims and Glasgow being the NT.  That would allow a LB crew of Jordan Evans and Vigil on the outside with Burfict and Minter on the inside.  Try hitting a TE 11 times with that crew on the field.  

Aggression becomes our M.O.  On second and short, throw deep.  Blitz when the opponent has 2nd and long.  Run a fake punt.  Do an onsides kick to start a half.  You will get more out of your players if they are motivated.  This team is going to have to start being the puncher or they will stay the punching bag for a long time.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: You Coach the Bengals - What Strategy Would You Use? - SHRacerX - 10-31-2017, 09:15 AM