Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Browns wanted McCarron and were close
(11-01-2017, 12:36 AM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Just going to throw this in here since AJ isn't going to be traded given the deadline has passed.  But unless things change he will be a restricted free agent.  So here is how that works:

Teams have four different tender options they can place on their restricted free agent that usually keeps those players from leaving.

First-round tender: Free agent can negotiate with other teams, but original team has option to match any deal and will receive a first-round selection if it opts not to match the deal.

Second-round tender: Free agent can negotiate with other teams, but original team has option to match any deal and will receive a second-round selection if it opts not to match the deal.

Original-round tender: Free agent can negotiate with other teams, but original team has option to match any deal and will receive a selection equal to the round the player was originally selected in if it opts not to match the deal.

Right of first refusal: Free agent can negotiate with other teams, but original team has option to match any deal. The team will not receive any compensation if it opts not to match another deal.

Why not give every player a first-round tender?

Money and the salary cap implications would come with that. There aren’t many restricted free agents that are so valuable that a team would ever even consider giving up a first- or second-round pick to acquire them, so it’s a waste to apply a more expensive tender when a cheaper one can ward off prospective teams.

Source:  https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2017/3/8/14834554/nfl-restricted-free-agents-rules-tender-amounts

1. I thought it was still up in the air on whether or not Mac gets credit for his rookie season? In fact, I read that this is what made McCarron so valuable. The 49ers have to hit Jimmy G with the franchise tag or sign him to a good deal if they like what they see this year. McCarron had the rest of this year as well as (possibly) next year on a cheap rookie deal. That's what made him a slightly better value than Jimmy.

2. I would throw the 2nd round tender on him if he becomes a FA. A 1st would all but guarantee no one touches him, but I think (hope) the Browns will still be interested enough to part with a 2nd.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Browns wanted McCarron and were close - Shake n Blake - 11-01-2017, 12:44 AM