Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Remember how Marv coached defense in Baltimore?
(11-09-2017, 12:27 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yes. Basically teams want the coordinators from teams with great offenses or defenses as the new HC's...but most of the time those teams have loaded personnel. And to get loaded personnel...these teams generally have a good front office.

So what you get is a coach having to coach a team with less talent, that isn't used to having the scouting demands on them.

I 100% understand that great players make up great teams. I mean, they're the ones who plays the actual games.

I just don't see how anyone should expect Marvin to coach anyone up or make anyone appreciably better. He has never done that before. NEVER. Even the Steelers LBs he had under him were awesome when he was there. A lot of his former players are all timers from both the Steelers and the Ravens. At this point, it's obvious that THEY are not a product of Marvin, but vice versa: HE is a product of THEM. After seeing him coach the Bengals for 15 seasons, it should be incredibly clear that Marvin is a product of being elevated by the talent around him, rather than being any sort of significant elevator of talent or great coach of it himself.

To the point of scouting, etc. I actually believe the opposite is true. Bengals staff and coaches from other teams have touched on this in interviews over the years. Coaches usually LOVE to have input on who's on their roster. A lot of coaches have sought GM & Head Coaching duties just to be able to have that kind of input. So, for the Bengals coaches to be afforded as much say and input/active role in the process, it's THAT much more damming to me that they haven't performed on the field. The bengals coaches have a ton of influence and say over who they draft and sign. A TON! That's a good thing, IMO, and a lot of coaches would love that environment.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Remember how Marv coached defense in Baltimore? - PDub80 - 11-09-2017, 12:41 PM