Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We have the worst rushing offense in the NFL
(11-09-2017, 10:46 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The technique the Bengals use to run block is one I see at my local high school on Friday night.  The center snaps the ball, the linemen stand up, then try to block someone, anyone.  That’s never effective past maybe middle school.

The best lines use leverage and timed footwork to open holes for the running backs.  Footwork?  Oh yes!  That’s how the best athletes time whatever move they need to make.  Let’s pretend for a minute that Cedric Ogbuehi and Clint Boling knew what they were doing and Andy Dalton called a run through the left side B-gap.  Against a 4-3 line the technique is different than the technique to open that gap against a 3-4 line.  The linemen know that, or at least I think they do.  

Anyway, the best offensive lines have players coached to keep the pad level low, push with the pads while the legs and core do the work.  The direction of the block is controlled by the initial footwork.

I read Evan Mathis talk about Alexander's scheme. It's a passive scheme where our lineman let the defensive lineman engage them. Some teams allow their offensive lineman to be aggressive and attack.

We do seem to have a lot of finesse guys on the line...which I don't like.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: We have the worst rushing offense in the NFL - THE PISTONS - 11-09-2017, 10:49 PM