Poll: How many weeks until the next mass shooting?
This poll is closed.
0%
0 0%
11.11%
1 11.11%
33.33%
3 33.33%
0%
0 0%
22.22%
2 22.22%
11.11%
1 11.11%
11.11%
1 11.11%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
10+
11.11%
1 11.11%
Total 9 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Countdown to the next mass shooting
(11-10-2017, 02:00 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Okay, but first step is figuring out if there is a problem, and if so, what is it? You can't jsut say we have a "gun" problem. What does that mean? Do we have a mass shooting problem? Do we have a murder problem?

You can't address a problem without first addressing what that problem is. Everyone might not agree with the problem, but the more specific you can get in stating the problem the more effective you'll be in finding a solution.

Many times - usually after a tragedy like this - people are quick to say there's a problem in this country but then make some grandiose and vague statement as to the problem. That's not helpful and it's why a consensus is hard to find. 

I can agree with this. That's why discussion is good.

Again, I was making a general comment (true in the middle of the thread) about people who do NOT want to talk about it. I didn't quote anyone here or accuse anyone here. Just a statement on my amusement at such people. Perhaps I could have started a fresh thread about that, but I didn't see a need for that.

(11-10-2017, 02:00 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Sure, but there is a time for it and doing it immediately after (or even during the tragedy) is NOT hte time to do it. You can NOT propose solutions based on feelings and that's exactly what will happen if you look for solutions too soon. One needs to be as objective as possible and tha'ts nearly impossible when you're still reeling emotionally from a tragedy. 

For example, you're dad - who's been happily married to your mom for over 50 years - passes away. Do you discuss with your mom selling the house and/or her moving into a nursing home and/or your father's will before the funeral, during the funeral, immediately after the funeral, or at some point when she seems to finally starting to come to grips with the loss of her husband? 

It's not a perfect analogy, but I'm hoping you get my point. 

I get your point. But to add to that if it was my friend's father I might talk about such things with other people and then him later. Just talking about it doesn't mean we have to talk to the actual victims or even that we don't care about them and their feelings. It's just human nature (to me) to talk about things when they happen.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Countdown to the next mass shooting - GMDino - 11-10-2017, 02:27 PM