Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interesting OL article by Ross Tucker from 2008
I just came across this article from Ross Tucker that he actually wrote back in 2008 on the importance of each of the five OL positions and which positions should be paid the most based on their typical responsibilities.
https://www.si.com/more-sports/2008/04/04/oline-rankings

To summarize from most important/physically difficult:
1) Left Tackle (going against the elite edge rushers, highest chance for not only a sack but also fumble since protecting blind side)
2) Right Tackle (most often left one-on-one with strong-side defender but does get help from TEs more compared to LT and also RB/FB blocks)
3) Right Guard (also typically left one-on-one with the better interior rusher, deemed by many to be much harder than LG because RG typically doesn't get help like LG)
4) Left Guard (most often getting help from C and typically blocking the least elite pass rusher on the line)
5) Center (just from a physical standpoint, the C is typically just expected to help block another defender blocked by a guard. however, their value comes in their intelligence needed to make proper calls or adjustments for the OL)

I'd say that where this might be changed up in today's NFL is the higher occurrence of dominant NTs. This puts more physical responsibility on the center more than a decade ago on top of their intellectual value they need to have to make proper calls and adjustments. Also RG and RT are pushing closer to LT importance because of the trend of more elite pass rushers at LDE and 3T.

Why am I bringing this up? Because the Bengals' best (and highest paid) OL this year is their LG, which is considered the fourth or even fifth easiest position of all the OL positions to play. The Bengals MUST invest in a good LT and the right side of the line if it wishes to compete again.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Interesting OL article by Ross Tucker from 2008 - ochocincos - 11-10-2017, 03:04 PM