Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Remember how Marv coached defense in Baltimore?
(11-11-2017, 12:57 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: TY for the research, just a major thing missing. You don't list the players he lost each year. I guess we should ask you to to complete your homework since missing all players who left teh Ravens each year. I give you an incomplete versus a fail since you did do the work to support your criticism of those who questioned you.  Smirk  

Sure, some notes on that below...

- I listed when Ray Lewis or other major guys were lost to injury or missed significant time in with the additions.  There weren't a lot of guys listed because, for the most part, the Ravens were remarkably healthy and outstanding at keeping players in their prime. This was fairly consistent through all of the coaches and DC changes.

- Marvin himself had no major talent attrition to the defensive roster while in Baltimore. After Ray Lewis in 1996 Marvin was the recipient of a huge influx of talent (see 1997 & 1998) with ZERO significant loses to either injury, FA, trade, or retirement.

- Since I was comparing Marvin's success vs that of the other coaches, any talent lost (major or otherwise) AFTER Marvin would only serve to bolster my position and make the other coaches look better since the Ravens D was essentially the same regardless of coach or scheme. Why would that be? Because the Ravens defense didn't fall off in being a top ranked defense and continued that trend for many years and through many coaches AFTER Marvin. So, therefore, any talent lost wouldn't matter in terms of reflection on Marvin in any positive way. Actually, losing talent AFTER Marvin would serve more as a negative. No need to pile on at this point.

Basically, unless there were injuries to Ray Lewis or other major players the Ravens stayed super consistent. Please see 2002 in my post where I noted the Ravens fall to 19th/32 under Mike Nolan where Ray Lewis only played in 5 games only to to be back up to 6th again under Nolan the previous year with Ray Lewis paying in all 16 games. Again, Marvin's tenure in Baltimore saw NO major injuries and NO major losses of significant players.

-Lastly, I have ZERO problems with someone questioning me or something I post. I mean, in general, that's how we have discussions and further our knowledge and have our opinions grow or change. I have NO problems being wrong about something and view being wrong as a chance to learn and get things right. But the person whom I responded to didn't question anything from my original post. Their response was dismissive without even attempting to research what I was saying in response to them. Basically it was a (from the movie The Water Boy) "No, you're wrong, Colonel Sanders!". I have little tolerance for someone who chooses to voice their willful ignorance while responding in a public forum. If someone doesn't want to take the time to do research or ask a question if someone offers a different perspective, why even bother to respond unless it's just to be defensive or argumentative. I mean, why post something in a public forum for others to respond to and have dialogue with you if you aren't interested in learning anything?
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Remember how Marv coached defense in Baltimore? - PDub80 - 11-12-2017, 12:40 AM