Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Position Battles: Linebacker
(08-18-2015, 10:13 PM)Shady Wrote: After the first pre=-season game . . .  

Rey M. looked really good in limited snaps.

Nico Johnson was everywhere, always seemed to be in position. Led the team in tackles. Almost got a pick.

Marquis Flowers looked very good. Made some tackles, defended a pass, was good on coverage.

Chris Carter - did get a pressure. Showed why they're intrigued with using him as a DE/LB on obvious passing downs.

V. Rey - His usual solid self. Made a good play with Rey M. in stopping a run to the left for only 2 yards.

Lamur - made a great play to stuff a run to the right on 3rd and short to stop Eli's last attempt at a "drive."  Otherwise, he looked kind of like he did last year . . . decent, bordering on good, but nowhere near great.

AJ Hawk didn't get much chance to show much.

P.J. Dawson - looked like a rookie playing tenative. He hasn't turned it on yet.

None of the other LBs did anything to make me think they're making the roster.

I'm thinking we should end up like this IF WE KEEP 7 LBS

SLB
Flowers - has the skills and athleticism, could learn a ton working in rotation with Hawk at SAM
AJ Hawk or Chris Carter- Hawk is still a skilled veteran with enough left in the tank to make us better, but could become lethal off the edge. Keeping either one could mean saying goodbye to Lamur.

MLB
Maualuga – He's been getting better at MLB every year, but I don't think we should ask him to hold up for an entire year. He'd be helped if rotated in and out with Nico.
Nico Johnson - Shows alot of strength as a MLB. He could replace Rey Rey in a year or two, but should get plenty of playing time in rotation right away.

WLB
Burfict - Can't wait to get him back
Dawson - I don't know how they're going to get this kid on the field with Burfict when he's ready, but they'd better start thinking about ways. It won't take him long to be ready.
V. Rey - STs captain and consummate back-up, can play all 3 positions

If we keep 8, it will mean deciding between these 2.
Lamur - has to show more tenacity against the run, go get the damn ball!!
Carter – Could become lethal off the edge. If they want to go with 7 LBs, I'd be tempted to keep him over AJ Hawk.

Roach might go to PS, but DiManche and Porter haven't shown me anything.
I agree for the most part. Based on rotations they have been running I think Lamur stays before Flowers. That said, I don't expect Burfict back for a while so I think they keep Flowers and Lamur both. I don't think Carter will make the cut -- very quick but undersized.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Position Battles: Linebacker - jason - 08-11-2015, 06:06 PM
RE: Position Battles: Linebacker - CJD - 08-11-2015, 05:17 PM
RE: Position Battles: Linebacker - CJD - 08-12-2015, 08:23 AM
RE: Position Battles: Linebacker - Synric - 08-11-2015, 06:18 PM
RE: Position Battles: Linebacker - bfine32 - 08-11-2015, 08:39 PM
RE: Position Battles: Linebacker - jason - 08-11-2015, 09:20 PM
RE: Position Battles: Linebacker - SFmajor - 08-12-2015, 11:43 AM
RE: Position Battles: Linebacker - J24 - 08-12-2015, 01:48 AM
RE: Position Battles: Linebacker - djs7685 - 08-12-2015, 11:44 AM
RE: Position Battles: Linebacker - djs7685 - 08-12-2015, 12:00 PM