Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The 2012 draft was a masterclass by the front office
(08-19-2015, 04:20 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I only singled out Detroit for an example. I didn't feel like sorting through every team you listed. I agree though that starting doesn't necessarily mean a player is good. By the same token, we have players from the 2012 who haven't started much (if at all) and we're assuming they're going to be great. 

Of the 6 players you're talking about:

DreKirk: Spent first year injured. He's had his moments as a 4th CB over the last couple years. He really flashed serious promise last year, but we're going into year 4 which is the final year of his rookie contract. So this is the only year where we get serious value from him. His 5th year option will be for 7.5 million. No one knows how he'll fare in a starting role. He's going to be the guy now, rather than a 4th option/dime back. I'm optimistic, but we can't say he's been a smashing success thus far in his career.

Zeitler: Love Zeitler, but top 5? Idk. It was definitely a good pick and he's definitely a good player though.

Iloka: Again, I love Iloka, but I don't know that he's top 5 at his position yet. Top 10? Maybe. I want to see more, but again I'm optimistic. He was great for us last year.

MLJ: We've essentially gotten 1 year out of MLJ. Everyone brings up the 10 TD's, but who knows if he can repeat that number? He had 1 massive game against the Jets (8-122-4) that bloated his stats. This is the final year of both MLJ and Sanu's rookie contracts. Most don't think we'll keep both. Last I heard, MLJ is behind Sanu on the depth chart, fwiw.

Sanu: He's had his moments with trick plays. He had some solid production while AJ was out, but he was among the league leaders in drops.

Thompson: Honestly, Thompson is just a guy. He had 0 sacks after Geno went down and he stepped in. He's probably on the bubble this year, and he should be.

I know that I'm coming off as negative, but I'm only trying to provide an alternative point of view with these players. There's a lot to be positive about, but DreKirk, MLJ and Sanu still have question marks. 

And I totally understand the negative slant, it is valid too. 

What I was more trying to allude to was what was done in terms of the trades. At very least we turned old and or declining players into fresh draft picks, almost all have which have contributed and over half start. It's a fantastic piece of value. When you consider this franchise has been to 4 playoffs irrespective of dropping out first round, it's a good achievement. 

I am sure I am not alone in being a bit comme ci comme ca about that years draft. Didn't love the first round and didn't like us passing on a lot of good 'big name' talent later on. I am happy that I think I have been corrected on that initial assumption. Even if it wasn't a slam dunk draft it was certainly a C+ or B. That may yet change this year with people like Dre, MLJ and Illoka been given the chance to take the next step.

Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: The 2012 draft was a masterclass by the front office - BritishBengal - 08-19-2015, 05:33 PM