Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leftists panic over the possibility of having Thanksgiving with a Trump supporter
(11-14-2017, 02:06 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I am all for mutual respect. But it’s earned from both sides of the coin. You don’t earn it by being passive aggressive or demeaning someone who doesn’t agree.

Also you getting offended is a you issue. Outside of knowingly attacking someone’s family which I know I have mentioned several times if someone here is a transgendered or has one in their family then please let me know and I will be more respectful on that topic.

Respect in conversation is not something that should be earned before being given. Respectful conversation should be the default.

As to the second part, there are at least two people that post regularly here that do have trans family members. It has been discussed in the past.

(11-14-2017, 02:07 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Looks like your learning. I look forward to productive conversations

You're*

Aside from that, though, I have tried for some time to talk about the forum poster saying it. I'm not perfect in this endeavor, but it is something I have tried to do. I have just not been hesitant to call things being said either racist or sexist when things being said fit that definition. I haven't fully decided how I feel about removing those words, though. If they are accurate descriptions of what is said or done, then I don't know if they should be set aside to nurture delicate sensibilities. I don't see the use of those terms when applied to something that could objectively be identified as such the same as some of the more inflammatory language used. At the same time, though, if someone infers something to be inflammatory then it is going to shut down discourse.

It's quite the conundrum. The main thing is that we all have a long way to go in here.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Leftists panic over the possibility of having Thanksgiving with a Trump supporter - Belsnickel - 11-14-2017, 09:53 AM