Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The 2012 draft was a masterclass by the front office
I'm sorry, I don't see how that's anything great (yet). I'm not sure it's even "good". It seems pretty average. Let me explain:

Right off the bat, lets start with Dre Kirk. Is that a great pick as of right now? No. Is it a good pick as of right now? Not in my opinion. Could it be? Sure. It could be good or great. But as of right now the guy has started 5 games in 3 years. You can bring up the fact that he walked into a loaded situation and that's all well and good, but you still can't say it's been proven to be anything special. You can argue it could be all you want, but right now, at best, it's an incomplete or a pick with potential.

Zeitler. Best pick of the draft, no doubt. It is "masterclass" to hit on a first round guard? No, not really. If you wanna say it was a good pick, fair enough. But hard to label hitting on first round guard as great scouting.

Still. Terrible pick.

Thompson. Not a good pick.

Sanu. Sorry, but he's played pretty much like a 3rd round WR. It's done some good things, not a bad pick. The guy has averaged 450 yards and 3.75 TD's a season. His career year was for 790, and only came because he saw injuries two the guys ahead of him and a starting TE. I'd say this pick falls somewhere between C- and C+ right now. (This could go up of course, he just needs to do more before I'm awarded a gold star)

Orson Charles. Terrible pick.

Sean Prater. Not even worth my time.

Marvin Jones. GOOD pick. When I see more than 1 year of results I could be open to calling it a great pick. Nonetheless, very good value so far.

George Iloka. Very good pick. Best production next to Zeitler. Great value here. Kudos.

Boom Herron. Not even worth my time.

Again, the terminology use was "masterclass". Is it really? Realllllyyyy???? In a year with an extra 1st and 3rd? With bust in the 2nd and 3rd round?

I'm sorry, you can argue it's good if you want. But great? Imagine reading this on another team's board with players with similar production. You'd be rolling your eyes. I know I'm just the negative Nancy, but c'mon. Seriously, look at this list again and tell me I'm wrong.

Fwiw, I give it a current grade of B-. If Dre blows up and Jones or Sanu sustained their career high production then I could see that turning into a B+ or A+. Too hard for me to give it an A with Still, Thompson and Charles.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: The 2012 draft was a masterclass by the front office - Wes Mantooth - 08-19-2015, 09:38 PM