Poll: How many weeks until the next mass shooting?
This poll is closed.
0%
0 0%
11.11%
1 11.11%
33.33%
3 33.33%
0%
0 0%
22.22%
2 22.22%
11.11%
1 11.11%
11.11%
1 11.11%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
10+
11.11%
1 11.11%
Total 9 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Countdown to the next mass shooting
(11-14-2017, 06:36 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: No. Johnny asked earlier, but I never got to it.

I think 4 qualifies. What says the rest of you guys?

Although, I must say that only 10 days is pretty damn sad.

According to the Congressional Research Service, in their report Mass Shootings in the US, we need four deaths, not including the shooter, and victims indiscriminately targeted. So a guy who killed his wife and two children and himself would not count.
 https://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R43004.pdf

In order to delineate a workable understanding of public mass shooting for this report, CRS
[i]examined scholarly journal articles, monographs, and government reports.12 These sources
discussed a variety of terms such as mass murder, mass shooting, mass killings, massacres, and
multiple homicide. Definitions of these terms varied with regard to establishing the number of
victims or fatalities involved, the weapons used, the motives of the perpetrator, and the
timeframes within which the casualties or injuries occurred.
This report defines public mass shootings as incidents occurring in relatively public places,
[i]involving four or more deathsnot including the shooter(s)—and gunmen who select victims
somewhat indiscriminately. The violence in these cases is not a means to an end such as robbery
or terrorism.13

If people accept a guvmint standard, then today's incident could be a mass shooting if the 4-5 dead don't include the shooter himself (killed by police) and family members.

Let's wait till it sorts out because I don't want my guess about the time interval to be wrong.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Countdown to the next mass shooting - Dill - 11-14-2017, 07:44 PM