Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leftists panic over the possibility of having Thanksgiving with a Trump supporter
(11-14-2017, 07:01 PM)Benton Wrote: First: Condolences on your grandmother's passing.

Thank you.

(11-14-2017, 07:01 PM)Benton Wrote: Second: That's perhaps the most in depth — and at the same time clear as mud — explanation of me being wrong I've ever seen. Kudos!

Well, this is difficult. This isn't something that outsiders really get an explanation for. Most of the time if you ask an Amish or Old Order Mennonite "why?" they will respond with "because it isn't how we do things." I am just in a position where my father's family is from an area of Amish communities, my mother's family is from an area of Old Order Mennonites (which is also where I am now) and I grew up in a related church of the Schwarzenau Brethren/German Baptist Brethren/Dunkards. So I have kind of an outsider but pressing right up on the edge relationship with these communities (at least with those that know me). So these are things I have picked up along the way, but it's never really been explained.

Also, I realize that I used terms I am used to but may not be commonplace. Our Old Order Mennonites in the area can be split in several different ways. One is the dividing line between horse and buggy only and what we call black bumper. Black bumper means that they will often have a mini-van to go places, but the bumpers are painted a matte black color. This is primarily done when the bumpers were chromed on the vehicle, as a mirrored surface like that promotes vanity.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Leftists panic over the possibility of having Thanksgiving with a Trump supporter - Belsnickel - 11-15-2017, 10:13 AM