Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First Female Ranger School Gaduates
(08-20-2015, 01:01 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: The "appearance of credibility" is a funny thing.  I would show up to a new unit in a sterile uniform on day 1.  I'd wear all the boy scout badges on day 2 and the way I was treated was totally different.

It's so funny how this works. This doesn't just happen in the military, but coincidentally in the organization you mentioned the badges of. I'm a lifelong Scout. I've got more awards and everything than can be fit on my uniform. I have a couple of different uniforms. One is sterile as you call it for when I am more likely to get it dirty or ripped, one has more minimal stuff on it for usual meetings, and one is a long sleeved "dress" uniform that is for awards dinners, courts of honor, etc.

I, not too long ago, was invited to help out with an Eagle project for the younger brother of a Scout I had helped with his project and taught him a merit badge or two, and served as kind of a mentor for a bit. He had moved to another area and knew I would be willing to make the trip to help his brother out and of course I did. When I was there, the adult leaders brushed me off every which way they could. My uniform said "Troop Committee" on it, the unit numbers, and a council strip. Plain as could be.

Last week I attended the court of honor for the newly minted Eagle whose project I had assisted with. As per my usual ways, I showed up in my dress uniform. Vigil lodge flap, Founders' Award, knots 5 rows tall above the pocket, gold shoulder loops (designating a regional/national position held), Eagle medal, Silver Beaver, etc. The look that was received when the adult leaders of this young man's unit realized the way they had treated me was rather humorous. Got a good laugh out of that one.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
RE: First Female Ranger School Gaduates - Belsnickel - 08-20-2015, 04:08 PM