Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Donald Trump's tweets: Are they presidential statements or not?
(11-21-2017, 02:57 PM)Benton Wrote: Generally taken as nonbinding POTUS opinions. They can vary from issuing condolences to declaring war (remember, they're nonbonding, he can say just about whatever he wants).

Where they're important is they're used by employees of every branch of government as direction, as well as foreign countries to determine our intentions. 

The POTUS — and even his staff — don't have time to communicate to everyone in his branch, let alone all the branches and military. So if the President Tweets out something like 'We should hire short people; I make great ladders!" then federal employees take that as word from their boss to hire short people. It's not a mandate or a change in hiring policy... but it's a sign it could be.

Same with foreign relations. If the POTUS gets on television and says Constantiopolis is a horrible place full of stupid people, he'd never vacation there, other countries may take that as a sign the executive branch might not be friendly with that country and avoid dealing with it. 

Words mean a lot, even more so for some, which is why it's unfortunate our current President choses his without care.

I guess I'm confused about how this is a debate. If Donald Trump is tweeting something that is not in the form of a question or of general fact, then isn't that a presedential statement considering its an "opinion"? 

If Trump tweeted "We should go to war with North Korea" I don't see how that's any different from him reading it from a teleprompter or a piece of paper.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Donald Trump's tweets: Are they presidential statements or not? - Matt_Crimson - 11-21-2017, 05:11 PM